Last night we walked along the beach from Allenhurst to the Convention
Hall in Asbury Park.  As the waves crashed the water gave off some of
the brightest blue bioluminescent flashes that I have ever seen.

I know it happens in other places like Puerto Rico, and that it's
caused by the presence of tiny creatures called dinoflagellates, but
I've never seen it along the Jersey shore, and it was so bright!

The odd part was, it was only really visible north of Convention Hall,
up to Allenhurst; not very bright going south of Convention Hall.  This
had us concerned that it was some kind of phosphorescence coming from
sewage plant discharge.  From what I've read about bioluminescent
waves, though, this is probably not the case.

Did anyone else see it, and is it common here?