Yes, Tom has a point and if you can look past his Rovian way of
attacking and/or manipulating the positions of those who come from a
different perspective he usually does.  He's one of the smartest
people on this board and could bring a great, thought provoking
alternative view to many of the discussions.  But his debate tactics
result in a discounting of the ideas he's actually articulating and
make the argument more about him than about the point of view.
Unfortunate, but also clearly exactly the way he likes it.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle Obre"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know Tommy is frustrating sometimes, but look at his position as
if
> you just met the guy. Don't think about what he's "always" doing.
Look
> at it with beginners mind.
>
> If you are against Columbus Day and and for Kwanzaa, you've got some
> things to reconcile. And you are probably a guilt laden whitish
> person. They are both cultural and both have some hard meaning and
> soft myth woven into them.
>
> Columbus didn't discover america and he was a brute. yet the day has
> held importance for a long time in this country. what if columbus is
> merely a symbol of each of our own "discovery" of America?
>
> Kwanzaa is a relatively recent celebration of a diverse culture and
> country that has suffered greatly (and is still..the rabid
investment
> in that place scares me). More importantly, there are so many in
this
> community that are intimately connected to African culture.
>
> It seems perfect that these two exist together. They both have
> validity. it seems the fairest thing to do is treat them equally
from
> the city point of view and let the communities decide their
importance
> with personal and/or commercial support.
>
> thats the question, how does the city treat them?
>
> but tommy's got a point with the columbus day bashers.  and i have
> been one of them.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> > Newbie and AsburyCouple,
> >
> > By Strawman you two are alleging that I have misstated Mario's
> > position.
> >
> > The sure test of that is for Mario to state it to see if it is
> > different than I said.
> >
> > You two however, having thrown the allegation at me, are then
> > asserting you know his position.
> >
> > So prove yourself right.
> >
> > State Mario's position. Compare and contrast to what I said it
was to
> > show how what I said is different.
> >

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <asburycouple@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Those kind of "tactics" in his arguments is why for the most
part
> > > I've stopped getting into political discussions with Tom on the
> > > board.  It just gets old...
> > >
> > > Unfortunate, because stepping past the BS I believe he has much
> > > add...

> > > uttered:   "clam up"

Time,

> > > issue."