Mario,
I am honestly FOR the continuation of the Columbus Day Celebration, in
spite of what I know.  When I was learning Spanish in high school,
Columbus was thought of as a "hero"!  Columbus was an Italian in the
employ of the Spanish Government, under Queen Isabella and Ferdinand.
 Another Italian of note, was Napoleon Bonaparte, who was from
Corsica.  The Fascist despot from WWII was Mussolini, who imagined
himself, a King.  All Italian, all famous in their own way.

It has been said, that the Italians ran Asbury Park for decades.  In
some ways, they still do!  Whatever it is that any group wants to
celebrate, that is important to them, is fine with me.  For those who
don't agree with you, that's their perogative!  I'm okay with it.  If
Kwanzaa is being celebrated with private donations, so what!  I
celebrate all 3 Holidays, Hannukah, Christmas and Kwanzaa.  I have a
Menorah, because before I became a Christian, we were Jews, just as
Jesus was.  Kwanzaa is a personal celebration of what it means to be
Black and to be proud of my Heritage.  I agree with John Loffredo's
assessment of Celebrating Columbus.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"