--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "mark07712" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Until the crime goes down in AP, I say Light Up the City! I know
> when I park in the lots; I try and park under the brightest light.
> Bright lights make me feel safe when I can see who/what is lurking
> around. Werner you can say all evidence points to this not being
> true, but it is how I feel. I avoid parking on dark streets. Asbury
> just isn't there yet to dim the lights. And trust me I like dim
> lights; I tried getting a dimmer for my fridge once. However, the
> Berkley one is crazy. When I saw that thing lit up, I walked down to
> the beach to see what was going on. Maybe it's another marketing
> ploy to get people to the beachfront?

Glad to hear you think the one on the Berkeley is "crazy", certainly
not a marketing ploy, just plain ignorance on their part.

The feeling you get between dark and light areas is just programmed
human response. We are primarily daylight creatures. But to paint it
as a black/white issue is an error on your part.

Dark/lighted... off/on... misses the point of appropriate lighting for
the task while addressing negative effects such as energy waste,
glare, ambiance, safety... etc.

Brighter lighting is not safer. Just think of driving and encountering
an oncoming vehicle with its high-beams on. The glare decreases your
ability to see whats around you. Not very safe...

Overly bright lighting creates a stark contrast between light and dark
areas allowing undesired activity to occur in the darkness. Glare is
the greatest detriment to uniform visual acuity and the safety issue
you are concerned about.

Look at any bright light source and then look away, your vision is
degraded until the eyes readjust. Its very easy to address all the
effects/consequences of lighting by proper design and installation.

Werner