I only read the wikipedia blurb on Karenga. Seems like another man who
had greatness and sleeze. Most do. Maybe the swings between the two
extremes vary but we all ultimately have that swing. I have had men I
love be total assholes, same with women. to me karenga and columbus
both seem like assholes.

So the Kwanzaa/Columbus brouhaha is a complete karmic wash for me. I
honestly don't give a shit about either of them. I do give a shit
about the right of people to celebrate something that makes them proud
of who they are. I don't think they need it, but who am I?

In my not humble enough opinion the only celebration the city should
put any effort into is the celebration of the city. let the chamber
and other orgs deal with different groups' pet celebrations.

if i were one of the people with the city debt in my lap and someone
started bitching to me about columbus day or kwanzaa and i was at the
ugly end of my continuum i would want to say something like "say what
you dumb mother(*&^? I got a multimillion dollar debt to think about.
I got a sleazy developer that should've been gone ages ago, another
developer that despite actually getting some things done people still
bitch about. we totally *&^%ed up the parking, the esperanza went
limp, the housing market and the economy in general is STILL tanking
and YOU want to talk about a couple of *&^( parties?"

but im not. so, how much is spent on kwanzaa and how much on columbus day?

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"