How about a departmental flowchart....

Soem very good articles about some communities are outsourcing
functions - while may appear to be more costly upfront,not so as the
contracted employee has been trained and certified in more then one
function. As an example, code enforcement or electrical inspector might
also do plumbing inspection etc.

And I strongly believe tax collections should be done at the county and
ideally state level. To me, it's one of most straight fucntions that
could be done and a higher/regional level.