As a layman, I chose generic excerpts about balance, choices, economics
realities, and historical responsibilities.

Regarding the specifics in the article, there seem to be some  compelling
arguments on all sides.  I enjoy hearing knowledgeable and  competent people
make
their cases.

===================================

In a message dated 12/3/2008 6:56:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

--- In  AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  Excerpts from the fourth in a series: Landmarks Preservation Meets
Development in a Delicate Urban
> Dance - Series - NYTimes.com
>
> or    http://tinyurl.com/6zahjy   (December 2, 2008)
>
> It must strike a balance  between protecting architecture and
> accepting economic realities,  between a responsibility to history
> and a knowledge that the city must  evolve....
>
> Its making choices and, without unlimited  resources, having to
> make those  choices and being able to do  some things and not do
> other things.

A more  relevant excerpt... Preservation is good economics and could
have been used  to great success in Asbury Park.

"Preserving sections of old New  York can actually spur economic
renewal, they say, citing areas like  TriBeCa, where the designation of
a new historic district in 1992  accelerated the area's transformation
into one of the city's most  sought-after neighborhoods.

"There hasn't been enough attention to how  new development can work
with old buildings," said Andrew S. Dolkart, the  director of the
historic preservation program at Columbia University.  "That's the
biggest flaw in New York and preservation in the last decade —  it's
just ignored. All things considered, a relatively tiny proportion  of
New York land is landmarked. It's hardly an obstacle to  economic
growth in the city."

Developers tend to disagree.  ..."

Werner

AOL.com.