Mario,

Neither Cohen nor Springsteen ever refer to Asbury Park as a town of losers.
Obviously
he's referring to the lyric from Thunder Road, which never specifies a
particular town.
(though given its references to dusty beach roads and windblown hair [hard to
imagine on
snail paced Ocean Avenue], it's likely he had some town in southern Ocean
County in
mind.) Cohen, like Springsteen, is using it as a metaphor for any small town in
America
from which a young, creative person would want to escape. Yes, he specifies a
"boardwalk
scene", but again, that could be Point, Seaside, Wildwood, whatever. He's
talking about the
shore in general, and you shouldn't take it as a slight. It's just a college
kid writing about
how everyone can get into Bruce's version of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town",
which is true
(until about the 10th time they play it ;).

As to what he meant by horizontally inclined, I guess he was imagining the US
as a person
lying on his stomach, arms (New England) outstretched. Of course, one then
wonders what
metaphor he'd use for the south of Texas.

The main thrust of his essay seems to be that
--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thought I was in for a feel-good read.  Until I came across the  reference to
> Asbury Park as "a town of losers."  Guess I'm not  thick-skinned.  Feel free
> to educate this guy via the comment box or  letters link.
>
> Anyone get what he means by "horizontally inclined"?

> From Duke University's   The Sandbox - Recess
> at   http://tinyurl.com/6m3ccx        Posted:  12/4/08
>

> We New Jerseyans have thick skin about most offenses to the Garden State.
> (Just to be clear: It doesn't smell like garbage, I don't find it ironic that
>
> our state nickname invokes beauty and if New Jersey is the armpit of America,
>
> our glob of a country sure is horizontally inclined.)
>

> We'll tolerate most barbs, but don't you dare demean Bruce Springsteen,
> because The Boss is ours. He's stitched himself into the fabric of New
> Jersey,
> and by this point he's as culturally ingrained as diners, Tony Soprano and
> the
> neon lights on the boardwalk's tilt-a-whirls down the shore.
>

> It doesn't matter that Springsteen became rock and roll's future by  yearning
> to leave New Jersey and find himself on the open road, to quit the  boardwalk
> scene and pull out of a town full of losers, because even though he  left...
> well, he never really did. He still plays rollicking shows in Giants  Stadium
> on every tour and, with the E Street Band, awes crowds with rumbling  sets
> that include the same hits from those iconic 1970s albums.
>

> The state's true poet laureate is now a revered social critic, and his  music
> reflects his age and political activism-and from a selfish standpoint,  it's
> simply not as fun to blast the new stuff and sing along even though you
> can't
> hear your own voice, because it's not that type of music anymore. There  are
> no more Thunder Roads for Springsteen to find, only 41 shots for him to riff
> on.
>

> Except, that is, for about one month every year, when radio stations  hide
> Born in the U.S.A. or The Rising and pull out a dusty track that hasn't  been
> played in 11 months.
>

> Roy Bittan starts by tickling the piano to conjure bells, and the crowd
> roars in hysterical approval. Clarence Clemons does his best impersonation of
>
> Santa Claus and then, beautifully, Springsteen comes in with the simple words
>
> we've all memorized on the notes we all know are coming, yet somehow feel
> fresh
> every year: "You better watch out/You better not cry/Better not pout/I'm
> telling  you why."
>

> Then it's the crowd's turn, a reincarnation of the  call-and-response
> Springsteen uses in all of his live shows now. It doesn't  matter if you're
> in the
> car alone or if you're surrounded by thousands at the  Stone Pony in Asbury
> Park; you yell, "Santa Claus is coming to town!" as loud,  as hoarsely and
> with as
> [...]
dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)