You said that beautifully!  I was taught like the Bible to pray in
silence and not beat my breast in public about what a good Christian I am.
People know you by your love for humanity, not by how much money you make.
While it's admirable to serve Uncle Sam, most Veterans, don't BRAG about it.
My husband is partially disabled from
the Viet Nam War, but you'd never know it.  He served when it was unpopular.
It was 15 years before he joined any veterans organizations.  Very few of his
comrades knew that he was still
serving until he retired in 2004.  So being a veteran doesn't necessarily make
one, a "good" soldier and I wouldn't kiss their ass, either!