I don't know whether this is the right or wrong thing to do - honestly it
sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to the learning centers proposal having
stalled.  But what's amazing to me in reading the articles on the school
board's recent activity is how clear it is that absolutely nothing will change.
 I've seen the school board squabbles for nearly ten years.  The same people
(including this guy they just brought back to the amazement of many), back year
after year, making the same decisions to protect the status quo.  I know that's
a generalization, but it rings pretty true overall.  Everyone agrees it's
broken, but nobody wants to fix it.  As if the school performance is going to
get better by tweaking things and changing up a few people from time to time.

It's really time to close the district and get absorbed into other ones.
There's no saving this one.  To date the school system hasn't hurt progress
that much.  Asbury will hit a point in it's progress where the schools will
become a major drag on our ability to attract people and reinvigorate our city.
 A few years ago the school system was one of the major factors in our decision
not to move full time into our home in AP when we moved back to NJ.  Instead we
bought a primary residence elsewhere despite loving Asbury Park and spending
much of our time here.

The waterfront is an issue that people get passionate about, and I am too.  We
can all argue the merits of this and that until we turn blue.  But perhaps it's
time to start focusing on other areas more likely to limit progress, like the
schools.  It's not as fun as debating historical restoration vs. modernization
- but if we're going to become the city we wish to be this is a much more
important issue to address.