> Consolidation of muncipal work is a MUST, I'm a HUGE supporter of this.
> Still surprised this hasn't caught on more yet

Why are you surprised?

A few decades ago, my first job was at Merrill. Being the guy that got to play
with the first pcs and harvard graphics, I got to hang around to midnight
drawing flowcharts for the big boys. In return for that $15,000 starting salary
(which I first turned down with a line like " I can make more cutting grass")
and some midnight rolling rock and pizza - I got to see first hand on how to
consolidate. Either my salary, skills or - you wound up in the wrong square at
the wrong time.

I was also told at the once great Merrill that once you get promoted, you have
to stop eating with your old buddies - and eat with your "new" buddies. That
way, when they give you the org chart and an eraser - it's easy to say
"sorry..." but we have to cutback.

Somehow that formed my so called career. It later became known as workflow or
business process reengineer or some other name.

I think of the easiest things to consolidate on the state level is tax
collection. I always say that.

While some people like to walk in on pay the taxes in person, most don't as
it's automatic. Maybe I don't know the job of a tax collector, but I'd guess it
can be merged between munis - if not on the state level at least regional.