School population decreased as did the number of school age children in AP...

today's APP:

http://tinyurl.com/4l22yug

SO WHAT DOES THIS REALLY MEAN??

Lowe said district enrollment dropped from 2,783 eight years ago to 2,063 in
October 2010 and was under 1,900 students as of Monday.
According to the 2010 census, the number of all children in Asbury Park
decreased from 5,089 in 2000 to 3,828 in 2010, a nearly 25 percent drop in the
decade. Neighboring Neptune saw a decrease in children from 6,398 to 5,768, a
nearly 10 percent drop

a) the cost to educate per kid in AP is understated.
b) will kid to teacher ratio increase or decrease
c) what would a real business do if they lost their customer base?
d) good idea to turn the school into offices (don't get carried away either,
more then admin desk can fit in a classroom).
e) also a good idea to move some of the Pre-school there. Also throw in after
school, community programs, and reach out to adult education, career training
etc. I know, too much to even consider, even if it makes sense.
f) the decrease in the number of school age children in AP does show how
"redevelopment" did achieve the orignally stated goals. That was to market to
"families" with no children. Empty nesters, gay , singles etc - so no stress on
the schools.
g) In reality, AP's original homes that were chopped up - many were converted
to back single family homes or condos or they became owner occuppied - full or
part time. Many slumlords cashed out

A few years ago, I think I wrote that there were around 65 multi-family homes /
buildings just on the EAST SIDE of AP - don't recall how I broke it out, but
excluded the bigger complexes. Today, more of those have been converted from
apts or other.

If you take step back, drive around ap, you'll figure out that there are very
few school age children on the east side of ap. Just a guess.

It's called consoldiation. It's what a real business has to do to survive.