Well, I'm the only person on my block that I know of who's a member of this
group besides the other person who just posted, and I just want to say that
everybody I encounter on my block shares the same observation, so even though
I'm the lone voice here, that's not the case in the real world.

I'll try and reframe my point:

The city put paid parking on my block. Nobody is using it. It's a ghost town.
It's been frustrating since day 1 when they painted the lines without prior
notification.

There's now an empty sign pole sticking out of the grass in front of my house,
and it's been sitting there like an eyesore for the past 3 weeks.

I have not seen a single person use the new meters, nor any of the paid spaces.
And out of principle of knowing my neighborhood better than pretty much
everybody on this board, I'm not going to pay for the same thing I've been
doing for free for the last 6 years, park out front or within visible view of
my home.

Meanwhile, my neighbor 2 houses to the west doesn't have to pay, but now he has
to contend with the actual cheapskates who are now willing to walk even further
to avoid paying.

Meanwhile, I'll go home tonight, park on Bergh, and my block will continue to
be empty nearly year round. The folks in the apt building up the street who
used to park out front just moved to parking in their own lot (which is free
for them).

What I feel like the city did was create a poorly thought out plan without
doing any research. And, what happens during the other 9 months of the year? Is
the city going to enforce paid parking for an empty block? If I don't get the
permit and I come home after work out front, and I'm the only car on the block,
will I get a ticket?

Does this seem fair or well executed? Not to me.