I'm a weekday shopper - right now if i'm working from home and want to run
out to grab a coffee i do a flyby on cookman, see if there's anywhere to
park and if not head on to panera or somethign where parking is guaranteed.
 I know now that i'm sure to have parking now downtown and frankly if i'm
running into a coffee shop to grab and go i won't bother paying to park (and
i'm sure that others will be the same), that is a huge positive for the
coffee shops and deli and grab and go places.   If i need a change of
scenery and want to grab my laptop to work somewhere else, same thing, i do
a flyby, parking, yay, i'll go to cookman, no parking and panera here i
come.  Now there will be parking, i will pay if it's a stop and i'll spend
more money down time as i wander and now buy 2 cups of coffee, maybe a snack
etc.

Same thing with lunch, quick stops at local shops, hell, i'll even join club
a now as I can park for sure and not worry about missing class as i'm
driving around looking for parking.  I will happily pay for all those
things.

I'm sure i'm not unique in this philosophy, so the pure nature of freeing up
spaces will drive more business for the merchants and that's what we want,
give them a chance to survive in the off months and thrive in the on months.

>From a safety concern, in the UK you can pay your meter parking by text
message or by calling a number and using an automated answering system -
maybe something like that would be a good idea here.  Then there'd be no
fumbling around at midnite trying to pay the meter.  Or maybe the
bars/restaurants should have the meters insite or right outside in the lit
areas so there's no deserted dark roads that we have to worry about.