The simple reality is, parking is not a permitted use on the land in question.
A special temporary permit was issued that has expired - and a short extension
was granted. The City is not 'taking over' private lots.

In fact those parking lots are there only due to the special permission granted
by the City. The owner - iStar - has no intrinsic right to build and operate
parking lots on those sites.

Aside from that, Henry does make some good points.

Werner