Having Enough Engineers

The demand for setting up Asom’s fourth engineering college at Dhemaji has led
to a closer look at the disparities in development that are apparent even in
the matter of facilities for engineering or medical education. The need for
more qualified doctors became so obvious that even a reluctant State government
felt obliged to sanction the setting up of three more medical colleges.
However, the State government felt no such compulsion to set up more
engineering colleges despite the fact that when the population growth calls for
more doctors, that society must also have a need of more engineers. But look at
the scenario of engineering education in the State. There are just three
engineering colleges in the State that can cater to 750 students. By contrast,
West Bengal with 54 engineering colleges can cater to the needs of 15,477
students, Tamil Nadu has 254 engineering colleges (the highest number in the
country) catering to 80,417 students, Andhra Pradesh 236 colleges with
 82,970 students, Maharashtra 155 colleges with 48,250 students and Karnataka
118 colleges with 46,375 students. Why has our government done nothing at all
about increasing the number of engineers in the State? Is it because our
engineers have turned out to be mere technical clerks in most cases? Is it
because we have failed to create the adequate number of industries capable of
absorbing even all the engineers who graduate from our three engineering
colleges? This must be a major consideration, since our leaders know that their
own level of dynamism and enterprise has not been adequate to attract
industries to the State. However, the fact that our engineers have failed to be
self-sufficient to tackle all engineering tasks must be the strongest argument
against having more engineering colleges. Why produce more of the same variety
if they cannot deliver the goods?

  (The Sentinel, EDITORIA,WEDNESDAY 20 FEBRUARY 2008)