Chandanda,
This is not the first one :-)

last  summer( 2007)   we went to one here in NewYork City.
Details :
An assamese producer  - Simi Deka from Gauhati  was here with her family .
Film name  - "we also want to live" (on  witchcraft in Garo hills) . It was
also screened  there - NY International Independent Film Festival.
It's held @  theatre in downtown  area in city.:

Venue of screening: Village East Cinemas181 2nd Ave12th street , NY

-RD