From the conversation, I think this is an internal convention at their
shop.  They require the callers to put the eyecatcher in to indicate
they created/reserved a 144-byte savearea.  Callers that don't do that
are probably some kind of legacy and can't be assumed to have a 144 byte
save area. I gathered the macro was the glue code between various
callers and the actual subroutines.

On 2021-11-30 1:40 p.m., Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Nov 30, 2021, at 11:21:51, Mark Hammack wrote:
If the caller only passes a 72 byte save area (rather than part of a larger
save area stack) then I've got bigger problems than how to test and/or set
c'F4SA' in the save area.  :-)

The code of the subroutine should cut the Gordian Knot; take a cue from
"UNIX System... Callable Services" and provide dual entry points, e.g.:

AMODE (BPX1OPN):        31-bit
AMODE (BPX4OPN):        64-bit

-- gil

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect
DATAKINETICS | Data Performance & Optimization
Phone:+1.613.523.5500 x216
Email: weinh...@dkl.com
Visit us online at www.DKL.com
E-mail Notification: The information contained in this email and any
attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other
intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you
notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your
mail system.