Hello Listers,

I'd like to be able to update a common storage area across all CICS and batch
regions.  I've looked at IARV64 REQUEST=GETCOMMON, but it seems that it
requires supervisor state and/or key 0-7.

It seems that something like issuing a STORAGE macro similar to:

STORAGE OBTAIN LENGTH=32768,SP=241,KEY=x,LOC=31,OWNER=SYSTEM

...from an authorized program would allocate the storage needed.   But I don't
know the rules for accessing it from "user-mode" (unauthorized, key 8) programs
like a CICS application.

a) Given the address of the storage obtained like that, can any user-mode
program read that storage?
b) Could a user-mode program update that storage?
c) Should the KEY parameter be specified, and if so, what value should I use.
Afaik it has to be 0-7 since User-key CSA was outlawed.
d) Am I correct that there isn't an IRAV64 option that will allow a user-mode
program to update the storage?

Thanks for your help!

Wendell

(Cross-posted to the CICS list.)