On Friday 08 April 2005 01:48 am, Chassignet benjamin wrote:

> I don't have a full knowledge about GPL license. So I wonder if it is
> possible to launch a business in integrated PBX
> (Hardware+Asterisk+interface) without paying something to Digium for that
> (except of course G.729 licenses for end-user and ISDN cards in case).
> Moreover, if I don't need to pay a fee, do I need to notice Digium about
> this Business?

Essentially the GPL stipulates that the source code must be available to
anyone who asks for it.  You must let them know that it is available.  Any
derivative works must also have the source code available.  Essentially, it
must be free as in speech, not necessarily as in beer.

No, you do not have to notify Digium about your business, nor do you have to
pay a fee.

If, however, you choose to close source your project, you must pay Digium a
licensing fee so that you can use the code under a closed source license.

For more info try:
http://www.digium.com/downloads/licensing.pdf

Also, try emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED] to find out their pricing structure.
It's based on a per simultaneous line-in-use structure.

Also, to get the full deal on the GPL and how it affects you, you're best to
additionally consult a lawyer.  Obviously if you get sued because of how I've
interpreted the GPL, I'm not going to accept liability. :)