Lists escribió:

On Friday 05 August 2005 08:47, Francisco A. Lozano wrote:
I don't think the problem is the $150. It's in fact very cheap $1800/year
for such kind of application (provided it is a complete, well-done,
dependable and stable system).

Yes, billing is often the archilles heel of many smaller carriers and $1800 per year is a good price.

I think the problem is depending on any small company for your business.
You can depend on Oracle, on SAP, on Microsoft and on IBM. But you can't
depend on a small company, or at least I wouldn't do it; have had bad
experiences with that in the past.

(Interesting choice of words in the same sentence, depend & microsoft. : ) Besides you are running a bit of A=A=A computation with small companies. A better measurement would be the track history.

Small companies ($1-50M) can often be more dependable to care for their customers and try to do the right thing. Big companies like ms live for THEIR pockets and could care less about you. So the opposit is also true.
I agree, small companies are really GREAT, as you deal with persons and not with a brand. BUT you have to be very careful about it. Depend on microsoft? yup, I know that Microsoft SQL Server will stay there in 2010. But I don't know if a small database vendor will stay there in 2010: If I had choosen some years ago Ovrimos SQL Server, I'd be in trouble right now: go www.ovrimos.com and see. Another example: remember the bunch of dbase-style development environments that there were many years ago, from small and big companies? which ones last? MS-FoxPro and few more.

I agree that small --> bad and big --> good is a heavy simplification, but the size of a company is one of the decission-makers when choosing a software provider.

Anyway, I'd better stay with a small company which provides me source code than with a big company which hides their source code.

Obviously the 'lemonade stand' type operation is not likely to be able to handle sudden changes, and is more prone to go out of business due to simple things like rain or health problems. Of course greedy/criminal management like in SCO and ENRON have shown that the moral values is also a vital statistic to evaluate against.

As they say, money is the lowest of motivators, while duty is the highest.