Hi everyone,

I am new to hardware hacking and I am looking to get the AR2454 device
working in ath5k, however, due to my lack of understanding of the terms
used (ie, what is a PHY?), I am finding it very hard to reverse engineer
from trace dumps.

I have managed to add mmiotrace to a x86_64 2.6.25 kernel, and used the
latest hal from Sam L. to get madwifi working with this device. I have
also captured a complete trace and authentication with a WPA protected
gateway, and altered the decode perl script to work with the new output
format of mmiotrace.

I have also produced a dump from the latest ath5k, and I have noticed a
few things that seem wrong already...

- The AR5K_PCICFG sleep register mask seems to be incorrect... ath5k is
checking against 0x1000 where my trace shows checking against 0x10000. I
have played around with a copy of ath5k and modified it to work this
way, and it seems to be correct (for ar2454)

- In my working trace, the value of AR5K_PHY_PLL should be set to 0xeb,
which is not the case for ath5k.

- When madwifi does a radio init (i think thats what it does), it is
setting up PHY(17), but ath5k does not do this. I am not sure if this is
a problem as I dont know what a PHY is.

If anyone could direct me to some reading material, or send me some
info, it would be great as I would love to learn how to do this so I can
add the support myself.

-Geoff