FYI, quoting feedback given in #madwifi:

05:39:56 < cbecht> Hi all.  I was in here earlier asking if the ath5k driver
                   had better power management than the madwifi ath_pci
                   driver.  There is an issue that can be seen in powertop
                   with ath_pci not letting the processor go paste the C2
                   sleep state.  Nobody had an answer, so I gave it a try.
                   For the record: the issue does not exist in ath5k.  My CPU
                   is able to go into the deeper sleep states, and I am using
                   a couple watts less power.

Bye, Mike