On Monday 05 January 2009, Bob Copeland wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Geoffrey McRae <ge...@rabidhost.com> wrote:
> > Isn't that patch slightly wrong anyway?
> >
> > If the length of the ssid is 0 why check its first byte? Without looking
> > at the surrounding code, if that buffer is not allocated and we check
> > the bytes value, it could cause a seg fault.
>
> As it happens, ssid is a statically allocated array, part of struct
> ieee80211_bss.  But I agree it should be written differently if it
> is to go in.

The patch for an empty hidden SSID is already in wireless-testing (commit
bae888b3ea89097dcb8b28573d8bd6fa1147bc31) but it's slightly different from the
one I had proposed in the thread recalled by Bob.

Basically a SSID is considered hidden when its string is composed only
of '\0'. The hidden SSID is then accepted only when its length is 0 or has
the same length of the set SSID for the association.

Regards,
Fabio