Hello list,

in the last days I tried to build a wireless bridge based on Linux for
my home network using a Atheros AR2413 wireless card. This didn't worked
with several sympthoms. I tried with a vanilla 2.6.29 kernel.

1. In the first step I build a minimal config including the ath5k
   driver. This kernel just rebooted the machine when I tried to connect
   to my WPA secured wireless AP. Reading the archives of this list I found
   at least one similar bug report (kernel was not rebooting just crashing).
   With a standard Debian lenny kernel (2.6.26) I get the exactly same
   crash at boot.

2. Next I tried to enable the ath5k debug option in Kconfig. With this
   option the kernel did not crash anymore and I got wireless access.
   Happy about this I build a bridge with the wireless device. This
   worked (worked == bridge answers to ping when given an ip address) as
   long as the atheros card is the only ethernet device attached to the
   bridge. When I add an eth device the bridge is not reachable anymore.
   I have seen the same behavior of the bridge when using the madwifi
   driver instead of ath5k.

3. To get a backtrace of a possible crash with the driver I enabled the
   KALLSYM options in Kconfig and disabled ath5k debugging. When I boot
   this kernel the device does not attach to the wireless network
   anymore. All I get are these messages in dmesg:

   wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0f:b5:13:9c:7c try 1
   wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0f:b5:13:9c:7c try 2
   wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0f:b5:13:9c:7c try 3
   wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0f:b5:13:9c:7c timed out

   I get these messages several times.

My questions about all this: Are these bugs known and/or have fixes I
can try? If not, I am willing to help debug these issues and test fixes.
Just tell me what additional information you need or what I should try.

        Joerg