On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Bruno Randolf <b...@einfach.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2010 09:51:43 Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> > i tried to define it like this, in the commit log:
>> >     The antenna configuration is defined as a bitmap of allowed antennas.
>> >     This bitmap is 8 bit at the moment, each bit representing one
>> >     antenna. If multiple antennas are selected, the driver may use
>> >     diversity for receive and transmit.
>> >
>> > is this not precise enough?
>>
>> No, the commit log is just a placeholder of information, if you want to
>> define API you do it through the kdoc so you can slap people when then
>> submit patches that do not follow it. The kdoc above allows the flexibility
>> you were looking for but that I do not think we should have since it will
>> confuse the users who want to tune antenna settings on different drivers.
>
> you are talking about the place where to put the definition, not about the
> definition itself. i agree, the definition should be in the kdoc, and i'll
> update the patch. what's wrong with the definition itself?

Why are you using a bitmask for only 3 possibly different settings?

>> Understood, how about just defining something very basic and simple
>> for legacy based operation mode?
>
> i think my implementation is quite basic and simple ;)

Oh it is, I think it can be much simpler though.

>> > what do you think that could be, realistically, given the above
>> > definition?
>>
>> Well, anything that has to do with tx / rx antennas.
>
> that's not very clear. can you give me an example?

iw dev wlan0 set_tx_antenna 4

>> > sure. any suggestions?
>>
>> Sure how about FIXED_A, FIXED_B, DIVERSITY ?
>
> that's very ath5k centric.
>
> what if there is a 'legacy' hardware with 3 or more antennas?

Like what?

> what if we want to configure RX on antenna 1, TX on antenna 2?

Are you not using a value for TX and RX? Would that now allow for this?

> what if we want to use RX diversity but always TX on a fixed antenna?

You have this for both, RX and TX, and specify that on the kdoc (?)

> these are possible and useful configurations, which are not supported right
> now by ath5k but it's easy to add them.
>
> i don't see how "my" API is too complicated, and i think it allows for a clear
> configuration of these cases as well.
>
> your criticism seems to be based on the fact that it's not clear how to handle
> 802.11n chainmask + antenna configuration, but this is not what my patch is
> concerned about. let's go step by step...

No no, that is my fault, I brought that up, I was hoping we could
address it but it seems that we can't as I don't have time to think
about this further in a unified clean API. But if its just going to be
legacy then I don't see why we would use a large bitmap.

  Luis