Hi,

the last few days i've been experimenting with ath5k and its behaviour under interference (through a jammer in a neighbour channel).

I used a sender and a reveiver in IEEE 802.11a and in adhoc mode. I collected SNR measurements in the receiver node. Whenever jammer was on, SNR dropped at the receiver.

I then used airmagnet to monitor the signal strength of the sender.

Suprisingly i noticed that the tranmission power of the sender drops frequently when jammer was on; therefore SNR at the receiver dropped because the signal of the sender dropped and not because
noise was increased.

Then i connected the sender and the receiver through an airlive AP. I monitored the SNR at the receiver, capturing airlive's packets only. No SNR drops when jammer was on.

So i conlcude:

1) Ath5k's transmission power for some reason drops when interference is present.

2) SNR does not drop in the presence of interference (when an AP with a stable transmission power is used), meaning that the noise measured does not include interference.

Any comments are welcome.

Alex