Hello all,
I'd like to present and maybe get a little bit feedback from the community for a
rather unique problem we face in a production environment. We are using EMP-8602
PLUS-S cards in 802.11a mode (5GHz/BBDR) with an external TX amplifier attached
to one of the antenna ports. The second antenna port is not amplified. Normally
we achieve good results with this setup (up to 2km range outdoors).
Unfortunately it doesn't work well if sender and receiver are close together. In
this case the amplified signal is apparently to strong for the card to handle.
However, switching to the antenna port without the amplifier gives very good
results at close range.
Now we are looking for a way to automatically select the best antenna port. It
seems to me, that this problem is closely related to the rate selection problem
faced by the 802.11 stack, so enhancing one of the rate selection algorithms to
include the antenna into the search space might be the way to go.
Has anybody ever done this? Do you think that this might be the way to go? Are
there better heuristics to find the best antenna port? Any other comments?

Thanks in advance
  Joerg