2012/8/5 Tobias Diedrich <ranma+open...@tdiedrich.de>:
> Nick Kossifidis wrote:
>> 2012/8/5 Tobias Diedrich <ranma+open...@tdiedrich.de>:
>> > Fix two small issues with user txpower setting
>> >
>> > 1)
>> > ath5k is not setting max_power in the channel info, I'm using
>> > AR5K_TUNE_MAX_TXPOWER/2 (31dBm) as the default in this patch.
>>
>> Is that ath5k's job or should the upper layers do it ?
>
> I think it's ath5k's job, but I'm no expert in this.
> The behaviour of the upper layers regarding this changed in January,
> I believe previously it was not necessary to set it:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-next.git;a=commitdiff;h=eccc068e8e84c8fe997115629925e0422a98e4de
>
> Grepping for max_power in net/wireless I see most other drivers
> setting it, for example:
> ath/ath6kl/cfg80211.c:  .max_power      = 30,
> ath/ath9k/hw.c:         channel->max_power = MAX_RATE_POWER / 2;
> b43/main.c:     .max_power              = 30,
> \
> ti/wlcore/main.c:       { .hw_value = 1, .center_freq = 2412,
> .max_power = 25 },

According to that changeset this is the maximum allowed tx power, not
the maximum power the hw can trasmit at so either the documentation is
wrong or the drivers doing that are wrong. Maybe we should ask on
linux-wireless about it.

>> > 2)
>> > The newly added ah->ah_txpower.txp_user_pwr gets reset on channel
>> > change, save the value and restore it after clearing the ah_txpower
>> > struct.
>>
>> There is no such variable on ath5k, maybe on openwrt but not on
>> wireless-testing, we use a different one with a recent patch but you
>> are right about memset, I'll have to fix that.
>
> I tried this against wireless-next that I pulled yesterday and it
> has txp_user_pwr.
>
> Cheers,

Are you sure ? I checked wireless-testing yesterday and there is no
such variable, unless something weird is going on in wireless-next I
don't know when this came up.

--
GPG ID: 0xEE878588
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)