On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 04:24 -0700, cliveb wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
> > I love my Benchmark DAC-1, I've got a SB1g.
> >
> > Depending on budget, things like Larvy Engineering 44-96 Blue Series is
> > also in the range, it is about $1400.
> > Lucid DA9624 is under a grand.
> Pat, your reply seems to suggest that the Lucid is somewhere near the
> same ballpark as the Benchmark. Have you compared the two, and are they
> fairly close? Or have I misinterpreted what  you wrote? The reason I ask
> is that I tried the Lucid out a couple of years ago, and was not that
> impressed.

I have not compared them. I tossed it out mostly because its price
implies it is comparable to the others.

For now, I'm happy with what I have, and don't have cash burning a hole
in my pocket to drive gear lust.

Stereophile (I think) recently reviewed the Grace 902 and said it was
a little better than, and a little more expensive than, the Benchmark
DAC-1.

The Larvy get good marks in the pro-recording world, I've never seen a
review in an audiophile oriented world.

At these price points, I would insist on a trial purchase, or order two
with an agreement from the dealer that I could return one of them. Good
dealers will do that.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html