Robin Bowes a écrit :
>> It's the last one, isn't it? I've not listen to it yet. Do you remember
>> their debut album? That was a piece of bad mastering, in my opinion.
>
> I've got this - it is a really good recording. The music's not bad too!

I love this CD but I find the mastering (I don't know if it's the
correct word) to be quite bad, compared to more recent pieces from Foo
Fighters. I've trouble to really understand the music on some songs, to
hear each instrument, etc. But I've to listen to it more carefully on
the SB2.

> So, I got my soldering iron out and modified the RA820A (the usual
> audiophile tweaks - replacing caps, upgrading opamps, removing crap from
> the signal path, etc.). I also added an additional output to drive a
> separate power amp and now run a bi-amped setup with the RA820A driving
> the HF speakers and an RB850 driving the LF.

I would love to do that, but I don't know a thing about electronics and
I'm dangerous with a soldering iron, both for myself and for others ;-)

> You would almost certainly find that your system will sound better with
> a better amp. Can you bi-amp your speakers?

No I can't. But one of my friend has a Denon 3805, which is not an
audiophile amplifier but is surely much better than mine. So I have to
convince him to bring it to my place so that we can test my speakers and
also compare the internal DAC of the Denon with the SB2 one. Denon uses
Burr Brown DACs and the specifications of the one in the 3805 are
theoretically better than the ones of the SB2. Interesting comparison
therefore.

> You will almost certainly get better sound with a dedicated two-channel
> amplifier than using an AV receiver.

Yes. And I don't really think that high end performances are needed for
home cinema alone. You need low frequencies, but a dedicated subwoofer
will do the trick.

Fabrice