GreenMan Wrote:
> I've narrowed my selection to the following in no particular order:
>
> 1. Dac-ah from Poth Audio.
> 2. Scott Nixon TubeDAC+ (I like the look of the mod w/blue backlighting
> on the tube.
> 3. Benchmark DAC1.
>
> These are different technologies in different price groups, though all
> are under $1000. I like the reviews of the Benchmark, but I also wonder
> if that's the right choice for my system which is already pretty
> revealing.

> The dac-ah looks attractive in price, but I don't know how well the
> stock capacitors hold up in the system. The Benchmark may be too
> glaring in my system, but then again, with the Krell and the Thiels and
> the SB2 feeding the Benchmark, that would be real transparency all the
> way back to the music source.
I've got the Benchmark DAC1 and the Scott Nixon Chibi Saru (with a much
better power supply).  The Benchmark is significantly better, and is
certainly not "glaring" in any way.  If anything, it is a bit too
"polite" (compared to my old Naim CDS2, which was noticeable more
involving).  Although the Chibi Saru may not be quite as good as the
TubeDAC, I would expect it's basic performance to be similar, so I
would still suggest the Benchmark over it.

I should mention, though, that the Scott Nixon doesn't sound "bad".  It
just hides a lot of detail.  The curious thing is that it's really quite
any enjoyable listen, and it doesn't seem like your missing anything,
until you do a direct comparison to the Benchmark.

Sorry, but I've not tried the Dac-ah.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

--
Mike Hanson