> 1) The SB2 is hooked to the network via ethernet cable, but my iBook is
> going wireless through an Airport card. Will it make any difference
> whether I hook up the iBook with an ethernet cable too?

If you don't notice any drop outs streaming then the transport medium
shouldn't make any difference.

> 2) Does it make any difference how long the ethernet cables are?
Cable length shouldn't impact your streaming experience unless they are
very long (>300 feet theoretical).

> 3) Am I going to notice a huge difference if I get a bigger hard drive
> and go to lossless compression instead of 320 kbps?
In my view this is a subjective question.  I personally don't notice
any different between my lossless flac and 320kbps streaming. I don't
have a $1000 dac either...however 320kbps is a great way to listen if
that is what is available. Others may disagree though.  I am a great
fan of flac for the pure reason that it is the same as the original cd
quality. I have not lost anything ripping it to pc and thus have not
lost anything by throwing away my cds.

> ) I don't really have $1,000 to spend on a DAC; how much am I hurting my
> sound by going out the SB2's analog outs? With the quality of my
> amp/speaker setup, should I bite the bullet and get a decent DAC?

This is also one of those subjective questions.  I guess if you have
never driven the Ferrari then you won't know what you are missing.  I
don't have...(and probably won't ever buy) a $1000+ DAC.  I have a
reasonable DAC in my system and it plays music that sounds better than
my reasonably priced CD player, so I am happy.  My belief is that most
people would be happy streaming from the RCA (or digital) outs to a
reasonable system.  (After all it's the music that counts, right?
(anyone up for the LP versus CD digression?)).
The DAC in the Squeezebox is quite reasonable and after reading quite a
few discussions on this forum comparing different hardware my conclusion
is that the Squeezebox is an absolutely excellent buy for what you get.

--
tgoldstone