On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 08:51 -0700, Fifer wrote:
> 'headphone technology and quality have come a long way in 30 years'.
> The point I was trying to make was that 30 years ago, the choice of
> high quality headphones was fairly limited and what was available was
> fairly expensive. There is a much wider selection available now and
> very good quality to be had for reasonable amounts of money.

I'll agree that the quality you can get per dollar today is much
better, and there are lots more choices. Driven I think by all the
walkmen, diskmen and now iPods.

But the technology hasn't changed any at all that I can see.
Except that there were no small, in ear systems 30 years ago.
And there were no ear-bud styles earlier than about 15 or so years ago.

But the drivers are still either dynamic or electrostatic.
I don't know if any ribbon drivers, but ribbons are 50+ year old
technology. And the electrostatic still are big and expensive and
wonderful.

What has changed is that the dymanic drivers are lots better at lower
price points. And they are more comfortable to wear, lighter, etc.

Of course, I'm not sure what technology changes have to be made to
change the technology. Do new ways to manufacture a mature design
count as new technology?

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html