pfarrell Wrote:
> Benchmark says that their system is immune from jitter. But I'm not
> smart enough to know if that is just marketing or backed up by
> engineering.
The Benchmark DAC1 is immune to jitter because it sample rate converts
everything it receives (upsampled to its internal maximum sample rate:
96 or 192kHz, depending on the vintage). This allows the upsampled data
stream to be clocked out by the DAC1's own high-precision internal
clock, which completely isolates it from any jitter on the incoming
signal.

My understanding is that there is strong evidence that normal PLL
techniques are enough to bring the jitter down beneath the audible
threshold, so whether Benchmark's approach is actually *necessary* is
debatable.

--
cliveb