Sean - yes I can hear it.

Please have a look at the numerical examples I produced on the other
thread and in the bug report - the rounding is affecting the 16th bit
and therefore it's 'effectively' at 90/96dB.

The best analogy I can think of, is that you only get 96dB s/n with a
16-bit ADC, if you use the whole of the analogue input range.  If your
maximum input signal is half fs, the digital noise will be at the same
level but since the signal is half, the SNR is halved too.

Noise introduced by rounding, is correlated with the audio data, and so
it sounds much worse than tape hiss for example, which although clearly
audiable, doesn't detract from the musical information to anything like
the same degree.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk