On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 17:49 -0800, Mike Anderson wrote:
> ^^^ Audiogon has used Benchmark DAC1's going for $600.
> I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about how much of a
> difference it makes.

I have a SB1 (actually two) and was looking at a Benchmark DAC-1 for my
recording studio. So I bought it planning on putting it in the
studio, but first I tried it on my main stereo. (Classe, Sonus Faber,
Rel, etc.). Once I hooked it up, I never considered putting it
in the studio.  But, this was in the SB1. From what Sean has
posted, and the raves of others, the SB2 is a world better
than the SB1.

I would only buy an external DAC if you can listen to it
and return it if you aren't convinced. I got mine
from Mercenary Audio, who has a return policy.

Only you can make the decision, but I've not bought a SB2 or even SB3.
I'd rather but 60 more CDs with $600.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html