PhilNYC Wrote:
> It's been a while since I actually worked with a hard drive (beyond just
> using it), but if things haven't changed, one thing to consider is that
> you shouldn't load up your hard drive all the way to its full capacity.
> It has to do with the hard drive becoming less efficient when the
> entire drive is full....at most, you should use 80% of the drive's
> usable capacity...

Yes, in theory if you have a FLAC drive just for FLAC's when EAC
ripping etc.. all intermediate files are best dealt with on another
drive and then the FLAC's dumped across to the FLAC drive.

This is just to stop defragmentation and keep the internal filesystem
tables as tidy as possible, because once you get a 250gig drive to 99%
not only do you have to perform a registry hack to stop Winodoze
annoying you telling you what you already know (disk full) you also
cannot do any sort of defrag.

It's worth looking at cluster sizes and other things too, because in
the majority of cases your files are all pretty uniform - around 30meg
each.

--
Jim