kjg Wrote:
> So it appears that EAC is NOT entirely accurate unless the read offsets
>
> are correctly set, and this is not being done by default. Without
> AccurateRip, I would not have known this, and I would definitely not
> know what the proper offsets should be.
Right.  The discrepancy is because you hadn't set the drive offset
correctly before you did your original rips.  There are probably very
few drives with 0 read and write offsets.  My Plextor PX-712A also has
a read offset correction of +30 samples.

How are you supposed to know that?  Beats me.  I guess it helps to
follow some HydrogenAudio or EAC discussion groups for a while, then
find your drive in some drive features table, which is what I've always
done.  I've never gone the testing route to determine my drive's
offsets.

http://www.daefeatures.co.uk

EAC isn't the most user friendly program in the world.  In fact, I
think the user interface sucks pretty badly.  I've been using it for
years and I still don't understand the implications of many of oddly
placed and cryptically worded settings.  I wouldn't worry about it,
though, since 30 samples is only 30/44100 (0.00068) seconds - less than
1/1000th of a second.  If you could find a program to shift those files
that infinitesimally small amount, then I'm pretty sure you'd find the
rips to be identical.

--
JJZolx

Jim