On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 10:10 -0800, Jim wrote:
> In 99.9999% of cases you won't lose anything,

Probably more, but this is the audiophiles list.

> I've thought sometimes to go through a few of the popular CD's and
> produce a list of fingerprints of the tracks (FLACs) so another user
> could do the same to ensure correct offset.

I looked at accurateRip, they have a good idea. But it has, IMHO,
fatal flaws. First it is Windoz only. Second it is closed and
propriatary. Which would be bad enough, but they are proud
that it is closed and propriatary. There is a thread
on making an open source equivalent in their support
forum.
http://www.audiosense.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28
If you notice any similarity between the 'fishtop_records' postings
there and anything that you might be reading now, you win
the Shelock junior pin.

The idea of having an AccurateRip process so that many users
can compare each others work is great. And adding
a track-level checksum to the SlimServer db is just a SMOP.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html