If $500 is your entire budget then go for a THX certified PC speaker
setup. They're self powered and often offer at least a couple digital
and analog input will are enough to knock your sock off if it's not a
large room. Logitech and Klipsch are what I'd recommend. I wouldn't
recommend spending much less than $500 on just speakers unless it's a
stereo setup. $500 is about what you get a "bargain" higher quality
component for as well. You buy a cheap all in one system now and you'll
end up replacing the whole thing down the road anyway. At least the PC
speakers will always have a use for nearly any room in the house. I use
a plain 2.1 sub/sat in the bedroom and garage while the SB3 is hooked to
the main entertainment center with my DefTech speakers.

--
notanatheist