PhilNYC Wrote:
> In the context of the conversations I've had, "better" = "less jitter",
> so if you don't buy the idea that jitter has an impact on sonic
> performance, then there's nothing more I can say.  But if that is true,
> then do you then believe that it shouldn't matter whether you use
> optical vs. coax?

We weren't talking optical vs coax, we were talking CD vs HDD, that's
what the original quote was ("HDDs are better than CDs because
electrical/magnetic is easier than electrical/optical").

As for the coax vs optical question, I will dump all I know about the
topic right here:

1) Back in the day, every audio magazine I read said coax was better,
without any science to back that up.
2) All the fastest data networks I work with are optical. That tells me
it's easier to get data quickly and accurately down a fiber.
3) No ground loops with optical.
4) My physics background would lead me to believe that optical is a
better bet because, as has been mentioned, you don't have nasties like
capacitance and induction (or even crosstalk and interference for that
matter). The only issues with optical are signal degredation (not a
problem for such short runs) and TIR, which only happens with very high
frequencies and tight kinks in the cable. Both of those would degrade
(or totally block) the signal, but add jitter? Doesn't seem likely to
me - what with c being a constant and all.

--
radish