cliveb Wrote:
> I will admit to becoming increasingly exasperated that you seem unable
> to grasp the points I've been trying to explain, and this is the reason
> for the gradual decrease in politeness. I'm not trying to make you look
> stupid - I'm trying to explain something, but do acknowledge that my
> patience is getting a little thin. I'll try to be a little more civil
> in future.

Well you also need to accept that I because I don't agree doesn't make
me wrong. I grasp all your points, I just don't agree with all of
them.

The basis of you argument seems to be that because a CD is red book,
that it can only be read as red book, please correct me if I'm wrong.
If that was the case then you would not be able to browse CDs in
windows explorer for example where the audio is presented as data
tracks and therefore presumably subject to yellow book methods for data
retrieval, hence my supposition that yellow book error correction
*could* be applied and you may not need to conceal the holes. Several
DRM mechanisms rely on the fact that computer drives use yellow book to
read CD disks and put spurious yellow book data there to screw up a rip
by making the PC think it's a data disc, not an audio disc.

I entirely agree that a perfect CD ought to play the same on both
drives, and one with missing data will sound bad, my feeling is still
that a good rip is better than most cd players manage when playing back
discs since most discs do have scratches and manufacturing faults.

To explain my stance better - I'm the CTO of a software company and the
way I learn is by challenging assumptions and perceived wisdoms. If
there is irrefutable evidence that something is one way, then I won't
argue, but where there are greyish areas, I won't close my mind to the
possibilities.  Often new products and ideas can be found in the places
where people say things can't be done.

I'm actually very interested to understand if there is a new type of
product in here - an connected communal CD player, if you will, than
can scan a CD, find errors and correct them from online data from a
database of correct CD data. No plans to produce such a product, but an
open source database of extended error concealment data to produce a
data set that could be used to play the CD perfectly, hence avoiding
DRM/copyright issues. i.e it never rips the CD, just uses online
extended iformation to fix errors rather than trying to conceal them.

Of course it would work better at an adjunct to SB to compare and
corerct rips, but then we're back in copyright problems.

--
CardinalFang