On 12/20/05, CardinalFang
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It was fine in the early days when all that was needed was a enhanced
> scripting solution to push files around, but to remain commercially
> competitive, SlimServer needs to look as good as and be as
> ergonomically efficient as an Apple product. You can question how right
> Apple have got it, but so many people use iTunes and that's what they
> now expect from a digital music software product.
>
> I guess you could write a Java front end app to drive SlimServer, but
> we're back to software Buckaroo. There are better ways to do it.

I don't see how "Java front-end app plus from-scratch rewrite of
SlimServer" is supposed to be better than "Java front-end app plus
proven, tested, feature-complete SlimServer". This isn't a question of
Java vs. Perl, it's a question of native control application vs.
browser-based interface. The scope of SlimServer dicates a separate
front end and back end; a Java-based front end does not necessitate a
Java server.