On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 20:42 -0800, konut wrote:
> ezkcdude Wrote:
> > Which forums? I'd be interested to check those out, too!
>
> Those would be Rec. Audio Pro on the Google newsgroups,
> http://gearslutz.com/board/  ,  http://www.prosoundweb.com/  and
> http://www.bigbluelounge.com/  which used to be called OSXAudio.com.

I found gearslutz and prosoundweb to be very good.
rec.audio.pro is very uneven.

There are also some 'high-end' audio newsgroups.
But Arny K tends to lead a lot of noise there as well.

The pro-audio folks are slow to accept new things.
(which is a silly phrase, as the standard wag
was anything labeled "pro-audio" is not professional, but rather aimed
at rock star wanna bees at Guitar Center)
Price is not very important to them, and audio fidelity is
of second concern. Sounding "good" in the studio is
the holy grail. For many voices, and electric guitars
and musical styles, distortion is good, not bad.

As Sean wrote long ago, the drivers to quality DACs are
volume and time. The available 'quality' DACs today
are much better than you could get for $1000 just a few
years ago.

 The audiophile manufacturers do not
sell in volumes needed to get specialized
parts. They do nice work, have careful engineering,
but except for a very small number of them, they
sell only a million dollars worth of gear per year.
At $10K per amp, that is only 100 amps.

So the raw parts are all from TI and other commodity
IC foundaries. For example, the famous Burr-Brown
DAC chips are from Burr-Brown, which is
a division of TI.
http://www.burr-brown.com/
just redirects you to
http://focus.ti.com/analog/docs/analoghome.jsp

--
Pat Farrell         PRC recording studio
http://www.pfarrell.com/PRC