> Well I may be missing something here, because there's no Audio entry on
> my Player Settings.

OK, I'll step through this so you can double check . . .

1) I'm referring to the web interface using the default skin. If you've
configured any other skin you can get to default from
http://localhost:9000/Default without reconfiguring the main server to use
the default skin

2) On the home page (from the url above) there is a section on the left
called settings.

3) The entries are 'Server Settings' followed by one entry for each player
you have (hardware or software). I have 2 players so I have 2 entries after
'Server Settings'

4) click on a player entry

5) The left hand pane now shows near the top:

Home / Player Settings

Player Settings | Menus | Display | Alarm | Audio | Remote
                                            ^^^^^

6) Click 'Audio'

7) from there I have to scroll down to get to 'Digital Volume Control'

I suspect the most likely issue is the use of a different skin, some skins
put the player settings links in the right pane, or (I believe) omit them
entirely.

> They may of course bypass the multiplier when you set the volume to 40,

They do :) The multiplier is not implemented as an 8-bit word so 256 is a
valid multiplier. (I'm not sure but I believe it's 16bit so multipliers up
to 65535 are 'valid', however if the resulting number after the
multiplication overflows the 24bits the most significant bits are lost
resulting in a horible noisy mess)

Malcolm