Skip Pack Wrote:

> Please excuse my apparent hijack of this already-
> diverted thread, but I was pleased to see CliveB
> posting. I have been aware your site for a good
> while, and I am preparing to set up my turntable
> and preamp for transfer to digital, initially for
> use with my Squeezebox. I noted your comments
> on 44.1/16 or 48/16 being more than sufficient
> for recording from LPs, and I accept that with
> one reservation. I would think that the repair
> functions would be better run on higher sample
> rate files because faster rise times would be
> a good indication of certain types of noise
> (clicks and pops). This is just a quess on my
> part, and I would very much like to hear your
> take on this.
My take on this is that it can actually make (automatic) click
detection more difficult. The easiest clicks to spot are the ones with
an instant rise: where the spike happens between two adjacent clicks.
No pickup cartridge has a top-end response higher than 44kHz, so if you
sample at 96 or 88.2kHz, then no click will ever appear within a single
sample: the cartridge's top end response will low-pass filter it such
that the rise of the spike will take at least two samples, and that
makes the click detector's job more difficult. (But since I'm not a big
fan of automatic click detectors in any case, perhaps the point is
moot).

--
cliveb