I previously posted details about how I modified my squeezebox 3 in the
"Best Mod?" thread but rather than hijack or get lost in that thread I
think it better to move this over to its own thread.  I'll repeat my
earlier description of the mods and then add some pictures to give a
better feel for how this is done.  First my previous post on the
modification:

Over the holidays my brother-in-law and I bought several squeezebox 3s
and went about modifying them in a some what systematic fashion. We
would make changes to a unit and when that sounded better than the
stock unit then that become the reference and we evaluated future
changes against the best sounding one. The version that we settled on
as sounding best was as follows:

1)Power supply upgrade - just replace the stock wall wart with a
surplus regulated 5v supply. The one we used was surplus from some SGI
equipment and was rated at 1A. Opening it up showed it to have a hefty
transformer and a nicely regulated output.

2)Digital output upgrade. We replaced the stock output RCA with a 75
ohm BNC connector. The one we used was made by Amp and sourced from
Digikey - their part number A24598-ND.
We also changed the wiring to the output jack. If you trace the wiring,
you see that there are 2 inductors in the output path, L8 and L9. We
removed these and took the digital output directly from the resistor
voltage divider further upstream. I don't have the unit in front of me
but I believe the resistor numbers are R55 and R56 - 107 ohms and
245ohms.
We also added a transformer output using Scientific Conversions
SC916-01 1:1 shielded digital transformers.

3)DAC upgrade - We changed the stock PCM1748 to a PCM1748KE and found
the higher grade DAC chip to be a significant improvement.

4)Analog ouput - We removed the output op amp entirely and removed
associated output caps from this op amp and from the PCM1748. The
signal was taken directly from the PCM1748KE chip. Blackgate 4.7uf N
50v capacitors were used for the output. These were mounted directly at
the RCA output jacks and then wires were run back to the DAC output. It
was important to remove the unused op amp. I'm not sure if the reduced
power draw of the op amp helped the DAC power or if the op amp was
picking up noise and amplifying it but things sounded cleaner with the
op amp gone.

Another change we evaluated but did not like was replacing the power
supply caps on the DAC chip with Black Gate 47uf 16v Std caps. We found
the sound degraded compared to the stock surface mount caps and switched
them back in.

When we started we found the best sound came from the Toslink output
going to a Monarchy DIP dejitter box to a highly tweaked ART DIO.
Preamp was a Manley tube preamp and the power amps were either homebrew
211 amps, homebrew UCD400 amps, or Nuforce Ref 8s.
The SPDIF out was the next best sound and the analog output was a
distant 3rd.
At the finish the best sound came from the analog outputs with the
SPDIF a small but noticeable distance behind followed by the TOSLINK
even further back.

Now here are more details on what this looks like inside the
squeezebox.

The picture IMG_0258 shows the squeezebox with the front panel removed.
The panel is held in place by 2 torx T10 screws accessible from the
back.

The picture IMG_0262 shows the torx screws that hold the circuit board
to the cabinet.

The picture IMG_0265 shows the connection to the digital output BNC
which is installed on the back panel. I used a shielded transformer, so
the red wire goes to the BNC +, the white wire goes the BNC - and the
black wire is the shield and goes to the circuit board ground
connection. The transformer can be seen in the far right of the picture
tucked below the analog output right RCA jack.

The picture IMG_0267 shows the squeezebox with the wireless card
removed which is helpful when doing the modification.  To remove the
wireless card one disconnects the antenna from the card, releases the
clamps on the side of the card, angles it up and then pulls it out. The
bottom card is held in place with sticky tape towards the front and via
a snap in connector in the back.  To remove it one lifts the back so
the connectors disengage and then gently pulls on the front to remove
the card from the sticky tape.

The picture IMG_272a shows details of the analog output.  I removed the
output op amp, replaced the PCM1748 dac with a higher grade and ran the
analog output through Blackgate caps directly from the PCM1748KE. These
caps are mounted right at the RCA output jacks and are the red
capacitors shown in the pictures. Wires are run back from the caps to
the pads connecting to the DAC output as seen in the next shot.

The hardest part of the entire modification is removing the PCM1748
without destroying the circuit board traces.  Its really easy to do
this if you don't have the right equipment so be careful.  I actually
did mess up one trace when I removed the PCM1748 shown in this picture
and had to solder a tiny wire to the chip pins instead.  It takes a
steady hand to do this without shorting out pins.

Hope this is helpful to folks.

---Gary

|Filename: IMG_0272a.jpg                                            |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=640|

GaryB