teanau wrote:
just curious, do you know of any designs that use several full range
drivers in the one cabnet?
or is part of the beauty the single driver? not just the elimination of
crossovers?

I don't know of any. which may mean that it is a bad idea, or that
I've not been exposed to them, yet. There are lots of designs
with several identical speakers, the "Pipedream" was a $50K ++
design getting a lot of press a while back, it had tens of identical
drivers. I think it was ten+ tweeters and ten+ midranges.

Whenever you have multiple drivers, you get comb filtering,
and that is usually a very bad thing (tm).

Part of the attraction of a single driver is more than just no crossover, you can know what the driver's response is, and design
a cabinet to enhance/correct for the driver's normal peaks and valleys.

The Bose 901 from the 60s had nine identical drivers to handle the
full range, They also had a weird active EQ box to attempt to
get the response close to flat. It only pointed one at the listener,
so the comb effects were not so bad at all frequencies.
I don't think the 901 would be as well received these days
as it was way back when.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html