rick's cafe wrote:
Could someone give me a brief idiots guide to FLAC Ripping vs WAV vs
MP3.

I'm not sure if you are asking about the file formats or
ripping software.

Since, this is the audiophiles list, part of the answer can be short and easy. MP3 and other lossy formats throw away parts of the music
that they think are not important. Audiophiles think that every
part of the music is important, and no dumb algorithm can decide
so they never use MP3 for anything worth listening to.

From the audiophile focus on sound, there is no difference between
WAV (pcm) and any of the lossless compression systems. These include
FLAC, MLP, WMA-lossless, AAC-lossless, etc. By definition,  lossless
means nothing is lost.

WAV files have two downsides. They are bigger (see below) and you
can't tag them. Tags help library management, and managing a large
library is a big deal. If you have a tiny library, it doesn't matter
at all.

Also on avg what is the file size for a CD ripped as FLAC vs the rest
and what rippers do you recommend I use.

FLAC for me achieves a 40% to 50% compression.
So a movement that is 100MB becomes 60MB compressed.
YMMV a lot.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html